Sunday, October 7, 2012

40 Days for Life, Anchorage

I and many others here are currently participating in the 40 Days for Life, praying on the sidewalk outside Planned Parenthood here in Anchorage.  The sidewalk is being manned 7 days a week from 8am-8pm.

Mostly I go with our parish's young adult group.  On Friday this week, I did an extra hour because there was a gap in volunteers.  The man who took the 8am shift didn't want to leave until someone else came--but at 11:45 he called Megan, the organizer, to ask if anyone else was coming any time soon.  She posted on Facebook, and since I had a gap in my day, I drove down there to relieve him.  He was so brave to stand out there all by himself, in the cold rain, for four hours!  He told me that he had never done anything like that before!  So, kudos to you, Brian, wherever you are.  You're my hero of the week.

Others had heard the call, too.  Almost as soon as I took over from Brian, two parents with their five children came to stand with me.  I recognized them as parishioners from St. Nicholas Byzantine church.   And one of the women scheduled for the 1pm slot came half an hour early--she's a parishioner at St. Nicholas, too.  Byzantines, represent!

Anchorage 40 Days for Life has a blog, and if you were in doubt about whether our vigil does any good, you have only to head over there and read a story about what happened on Tuesday night, when the young adult group from St. Benedict's parish was there.  Saving a Baby 

No comments:

Post a Comment