Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy Byzantine New Year!

I'm a day late, I know.  I was with my Byzantine brothers and sisters this morning to celebrate.  Actually, I was filling in for their cantor who was, I guess, gone for the weekend.  It was my first time being anything other than a member of the congregation for the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.





My singing didn't sound like this.  I was late on a couple of entrances.  Near the beginning, I got flustered and turned over two pages instead of one.  Father stopped and asked me to go back to the antiphon that I had accidentally skipped.  That was embarrassing.  It got better as we went along, and three or four people came up to me afterward and said, "I've had to fill in as cantor too, it's hard, and you did it much better than I did!"  Father said it was fine and that he hopes I'll come back again and help out, so I guess I didn't do too badly, or at least, not worse than other folks who've filled in for the regular cantor.

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled Roman/Dominican liturgical programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment