Wednesday, June 27, 2012

First Time in Anchorage


When we came to Anchorage in February, we were getting up very early because we were still on Eastern Standard Time (four hours' difference), but the sun did not get up early. On our first day, the clouds hung low and it snowed steadily all day long--about eight inches of snow that day, as I recall. One of our new friends tried to take us on a driving tour of the city, but we couldn't see anything but white snow and gray buildings and white and gray clouds. I was very apprehensive, because it really looked like this was the right job for my husband, but I was not at all sure that I wanted to live in this awful place!

The next morning, we got up early again, well before the sun. We puttered around in our hotel room, killing time until we could reasonably go down to breakfast. Finally, rosy dawn crept up into the sky, and I saw those mountains for the first time. I fell in love. I grew up in Northern California, and spent time in the state of Washington, then moved to Los Angeles, where I had a great view of the hills from my 8th floor apartment. I was used to hills and mountains, but I had never seen any mountains quite as dramatic as the Chugach range that surrounds Anchorage, and after two years in Eastern North Carolina, as flat as can be, I was thrilled to the core. I am, at heart, a creature of the places where forest and mountains meet the ocean, and I suddenly felt like this wouldn't be such a bad place to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment